Pop Science & Nature Section Editor - Bristol
Pop Science & Nature Section Editor - Bristol
£22 to £30k DOE
My client, an online magazine who is one of the fastest-growing publishers on the web is looking for a talented Pop Science and Nature-focused Section Editor.
This magazine covers an amazing mix of the most bizarre, funny and fascinating news on the planet.
Their aim is to entertain and inform readers about extraordinary and compelling things they've never seen before.
You don't need to have too much ?hard? science background, professionally or academically, e.g.
writing for serious journals.
If you have a relevant degree and/or some decent experience in science-related publishing, this is definitely desirable.
That said, a sharp, possibly more senior sub-editor with good experience in the right area and who's looking to step up could very well be a good fit without the above contacts.
Also, 2:1 degree or higher preferred.
We also tend to cover a lot of content that's focused on animals, so experience in this area would be nice but not essential.
The successful candidate will be required to oversee all aspects of pop science and nature-related editorial production while potentially assisting with other topic areas, too.
Skills, Attributes and Experience
Highly organised and able to maintain a consistently high level of performance while coping with deadlines and ensuring tasks are completed in time
Excellent general communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to liaise with a range of employees, freelancers and new applicants
Ability to supervise writers and sub-editors, making sure feedback is shared when needed and quality standards are upheld
Ability to manage and prioritise editorial workflow, including forward planning, scheduling and ensuring staff have tasks sent to them in time
Astute knowledge of online publishing, with a particular flair for viral content and a keen sense of what inspires and delights readers and keeps them engaged
Strong creative approach, including the ability to spot compelling ideas, skilfully frame and title stories, and discuss, decide upon and provide direction on articles
Ability to draw up clear and stimulating briefs and use judgement and research skills to feed back to writers in order to shape articles to their best effect
Exceptional sub-editing skills, including thorough fact checking, creative copy editing and the ability to put information accurately into one's own words
Excellent picture research skills, preferably with some knowledge of image editing tools, and an eye for what makes a great image
Ability to be involved in and ultimately manage the process of hiring new staff, including setting and marking tests and conducting remote and in-person interviews
Strong general grounding and experience in the fields of pop science, animals and nature, and perhaps technology
Knowledge of WordPress and basic HTML
Familiarity with Excel/Google spreadsheets
Ideally NCTJ qualified : or with equivalent experience
The Person We're Looking For
We value people who have great ideas and who relish a challenge.
We value loyalty and hard work, but we also welcome a sense of humour and people who don't take themselves too seriously.
You're an established or aspiring pop science- and nature-focused section editor who's passionate about producing engaging content for a millennial audience
You're self-motivated, solutions-driven and a stickler for quality.
You have a ?can-do? attitude.
You're productive and work fast, but this is coupled with meticulousness, good sense and commercial nous.
You have a high degree of personal organisation and are able to plan ahead and manage your and others' time to meet deadlines.
You thrive in a fast-paced environment.
You're interested in the latest developments in online publishing in general and viral content production in particular.
You're a fast learner and respond well to constructive criticism.
You work well within a team.
Additional Resources Ltd is an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003
- Start: ASAP
- Duration: Permanent
- Rate: 22000-30000 Per Annum
- Location: Bristol, England
- Type: Permanent
- Industry: PR
- Recruiter: Additional Resources Ltd.
- Contact: Paul
- Tel: 0845 450 6635
- Email: to view click here
- Reference: PCO/D/032688
- Posted: 2017-01-06 09:33:43 -
- View all Jobs from Additional Resources Ltd.
More Jobs from Additional Resources Ltd.
- Product Marketing Manager - Reading
- Commercial / Industrial Cleaning Technicians - London
- Post-Doctoral Biochemist Researcher - Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire
- Recruitment Consultant - Digital Media/Technology - London
- Work Based Learning Administrator - Carlisle, Cumbria
- Educational Sales Specialist - Cheltenham
- Technical Sales Representative - Cheltenham
- Residential Social Care Worker - Haywards Heath, West Sussex
- Independent - Living Nurse - Home and Community Based (South)
- Business Centre Sales Executive - Near High Wycombe
- Cabinet Maker / Veneerer / Bench Hand - Honiton, Devon
- Business Development Executive - Colwyn Bay, Conwy
- Lift Engineer - Covering Manchester, Blackburn, Bradford, Leeds
- Lift Engineer - Crawley
- Lift Engineer - Guildford
- Lift Engineer - Swindon
- Accredited Avaya IPO Installation Engineer - West Coast of Scotland - Glasgow to Ayrshire
- EICA Project Manager - Reading or Caerphilly
- Electrical Engineer - Swansea
- Business Development Officer - Colwyn Bay, Conwy