DOC/NOAA Junior Systems Administrator
General Dynamics IT has an opening for a DOC/NOAA Junior Systems Administrator with strong communication and technical skills that will provide cybersecurity monitoring and situational awareness across the Department of Commerce (DOC) and/or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
The candidate must be a US Citizen and be able to obtain Department of Commerce vetting clearance.
Specific roles & responsibilities for the position include but not limited to the following:
- Manages the functionality and efficiency of a group of computers running on one or more operating systems.
- Helps maintain the integrity and security of servers and systems.
- Sets up administrator and service accounts.
- Maintains system documentation
- Interacts with users and evaluates vendor products.
- Coordinates hardware and software installation and provides backup recovery.
- Monitors policies and standards for allocation related to the use of computing resources.
- May program in an administrative language.
- Participates in systems testing and document results.
- Provides advice and training to end-users.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as required.
Additional Desired Experience:
- Basic knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques used in systems administration and support.
- Basic knowledge of related hardware and software.
- Basic analytical and communications skills.
- Basic knowledge of data security administration principles, methods, and techniques.
- Certification in one or more specific technologies.
- Requires understanding of DHS/DoD policies and procedures, such as FIPS 199, FIPS 200, NIST 800-53, DHS 4300A SSH and other applicable policies.
NIST NICE Cybersecurity Workforce Framework Alignment:
- Knowledge of the following: computer networking concepts and protocols, and network security methodologies, risk management processes (e.g., methods for assessing and mitigating risk), laws, regulations, policies, and ethics as they relate to cybersecurity and privacy, cybersecurity and privacy principles, cyber threats and vulnerabilities, specific operational impacts of cybersecurity lapses, information technology (IT) security principles and methods (e.g., firewalls, demilitarized zones, encryption), local area and wide area networking principles and concepts including bandwidth management, measures or indicators of system performance and availability, performance tuning tools and techniques, server and client operating systems, systems administration concepts, the enterprise information technology (IT) architecture, the type and frequency of routine hardware maintenance, Virtual Private Network (VPN) security, file system implementations (e.g., New Technology File System [NTFS], File Allocation Table [FAT], File Extension [EXT]), virtualization technologies and virtual machine development and maintenance, organizational information technology (IT) user security policies (e.g., account creation, password rules, access control), system administration, network, and operating system hardening techniques, network security architecture concepts including topology, protocols, components, and principles (e.g., application of defense-in-depth), Personally Identifiable Information (PII) data security standards, Payment Card Industry (PCI) data security standards, Personal Health Information (PHI) data security standards, transmission records (e.g., Bluetooth, Radio Frequency Identification (RFID), Infrared Networking (IR), Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi).
paging, cellular, satellite dishes, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)), and jamming techniques that enable transmission of undesirable information, or prevent installed systems from operating correctly, systems engineering theories, concepts, and methods, system/server diagnostic tools and fault identification techniques, operating system command-line tools, network protocols such as TCP/IP, Dynamic Host Configuration, Domain Name System (DNS), and directory services, principles and methods for integrating system components.
- Skills such as the following: configuring and optimizing software, diagnosing connectivity problems, maintaining directory services.
(e.g., Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, etc.), using virtual machines (e.g., Microsoft Hyper-V, VMWare vSphere, Citrix XenDesktop/Server, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud, etc.), configuring and utilizing software-based computer protection tools (e.g., software firewalls, antivirus software, anti-spyware), interfacing with customers, conducting system/server planning, management, and maintenance, correcting physical and technical problems that impact system/server performance, troubleshooting failed system components (i.e., servers), identifying and anticipating system/server performance, availability, capacity, or configuration problems, installing system and component upgrades.
(i.e., servers, appliances, network devices), monitoring and optimizing system/server performance, recovering failed systems/servers.
(e.g., recovery software, failover clusters, replication, etc.), operating system administration (e.g., account maintenance, data backups, maintain system performance, install and configure new hardware/software).
- Abilities such as the following: accurately define incidents, problems, and events in the trouble ticketing system, apply an organization's goals and objectives to develop and maintain architecture, develop, update, and/or maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs), operate common network tools (e.g., ping, traceroute, nslookup), monitor measures or indicators of system performance and availability, collaborate effectively with others, function effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, apply cybersecurity and privacy principles to organizational requirements (relevant to confidentiality, integrity, availability, authentication, non-repudiation), establish and maintain automated security control assessments.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
- 0-2 years of directly related experience in systems administration and analysis.
- Certification(s) Desired: ITIL, MCSE, Oracle, RHCE, Server+, VCP6-DCV
- Familiarity with the tasks and technology such as the following: Intrusion Detection, Threat Analysis, Log collection and management for reporting, analyzing and storage, Enterprise Security Management, Network Vulnerability Monitoring, Web Content Filtering, Flow collector/sensor/manager, Packet Capture Manager/Decoder/Concentrator, Data Backup and Restoral, Email and Web Sensor Management, Malicious Email Scanner, Malicious Web Scanner, Malware Sandbox, Mandiant Endpoint Protection, McAfee Endpoint Protection, Rogue System Detection, Host Intrusion Prevention, AntiVirus, Inline Firewall Inspection/Protection, Centralized reporting , logging, analysis of syslog appliances, Fortinet Network management, Packet Distribution switch feeds Stealthwatch, Netwitness, and Fireye, Access Interface for Mgmt.
and KVM networks, Stratum 1 Network Time Protocol, Web Application Security Scanning and vulnerability tool, Complete Network Infrastructure monitoring and Alerting, Computer Forensics Investigation
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Apply for this ad Online!
More Jobs from General Dynamics
- Bilingual CSR Tagalog (Part-Time)
- Sr Princ Analyst, Info Securit
- Customer Service Rep - Future Opportunities
- Administrator, Web Content Sharepoint
- Software Engineer
- Help Desk Technician TS.SCI Required
- Programs and Operation Analyst
- Sr. Human Subjects Protection Scientist
- Laboratory Veterinary Technician II
- Research Laboratory Veterinarian
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Quality Assurance/ Technical Writer
- Business Objects Engineer - Security Model
- Sr Revenue Cycle Management SME
- Network and Systems Administrator
- Systems Engineer
- Payments SME
- Network Administrator
- Project Manager
- Princ Administrator, Systems w/Polygraph