Senior Design Engineer
Senior Design Engineer (London)
As the Senior Design Engineer for a portfolio of allocated projects you will be responsible for how the service is viewed by stakeholders through the delivery of these projects.
You will work collaboratively within and external to your team, including ensuring client, member, customer, and stakeholder relationships are maintained.
You will always maintain professional standards and deliver customer service excellence.
What you'll be doing
- Developing briefs, feasibility studies and undertakes design and implementation of schemes, projects and programmes for small and medium sized projects as allocated, including drawing using specialist IT Software.
- Design and supervision of projects, preparation of estimates, working drawings and Contract documents for projects of varying complexity, dependent on the post holder's grading.
- Designing specifications and cost estimates, issuing works requisitions, liaising with and supervising contractors and monitoring costs.
- To coordinate and supervise projects and to assist in obtaining the necessary technical, administrative, and financial approvals in the preparation, supervision and administration of the project and programme.
- Obtaining the necessary technical, administrative, and financial approvals and in the preparation, supervision and administration of associated consultants' commissions or contracts.
- Carry out condition surveys and site surveys as directed and to assist with, or carry out the preparation of reports on findings.
To assist in the introduction of new methods as necessary to ensure efficient use of resources, including taking an active role in promoting best value.
- Liaising, where appropriate, with other Agencies and Bodies and inter and intra services to co-ordinate projects, attending meetings as necessary including with commercial scheme promoters.
- Be able to assess a variety of existing and proposed highway layouts - including town centre schemes, traffic signals, road safety schemes, route studies, cycle, bus or School initiative schemes.
- Design and manage traffic surveys and public consultations to requisite standards produce detailed drawings to technical standards, prepare accurate complex cost estimates and contract documentation.
- Commissioning and managing consultant engineering undertaking design and feasibility work to prepare scheme brief and monitor consultants' performance as directed by the team leader.
- To assist in the preparation of estimates, the supervision and administration of Contracts and to control any resources allocated ensuring compliance with financial regulations, standing orders and the relevant legislation.
- Drafting of Committee reports, which may cover policy issues and to implement decisions arising from them.
- Preparing letters of varying complexity, dependent on the post holder's grading, including assisting with letters on policy matters, proof of evidence, technical reports, briefs for consultants and other documents of all complexities as may be required.
- To support the Asset Manager and the Service Management Team in the delivery of an excellent customer focused service.
- To liaise and deal courteously and in line with policy with all enquiries from elected Members, members of the public, and stakeholders to deliver service excellence, including the preparation of high quality, factual, letters, technical reports and other documents as required.
- To deliver, at all times, a professional technical service aligned to "the Way We Work" contributing to Re and the Council's wider objectives, responding to customers' needs and the principles of continuous improvement.
- To ensure compliance with all Health & Safety legislation, the application of the CDM Regulations and associated codes of practice, Re and Council policies.
What we're looking for:
- You must be qualified to degree level or equivalent in Civil Engineering or Transportation, with a minimum of 2 years Post-Graduate Experience
- Demonstrable Engineering, Transportation, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of highways and transport policies and associated working knowledge of legislation
- Detailed knowledge of relevant standards and contracts including DMRB, British Standards, MCHW and NEC Contract
- Able to demonstrate a suitable knowledge of Traffic and Transport Polices and Legislation
- Demonstrate the ability to programme, supervise and monitor a number of projects simultaneously from inception to completion
- Good IT Skills - including the use of Autocad and Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel
- Ensuring designs are carried out in accordance with current design standards taking into account of CDM legislation, whole life costing, value and risk management
- The ability to set and work to personal deadlines and targets to meet the requirements of programmes of work, to meet clients' needs and to respond to targets set by others
- Experience in programme and project management
- Detailed understanding of the design process and interface with multiple disciplines
- Experience in financial and cost management
- Experience of surveying and project cost calculation
- Able to work without close supervision
- Demonstrable customer care skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good budgetary management skills
- Experience of working with consultants and/or contractors
- Confident in dealing with day-to-day performance issues as they arise
- Full driving licence or the ability to travel around the borough on a daily basis
- Managing Complex Engineering Projects
- Member of an appropriate high institution (IHT,IHIE,ICE etc)
- Experience of project management methodology e.g.
- Good skill level and experience of using LinSig and microsimulation software
- Working knowledge of basic legislation
- Demonstrate the ability to programme, and monitor a number of projects simultaneously from inception to completion
- Experience of working with consultants/ contractors
More Jobs from McGinley Support Services
- Project Manager
- Mechanical Fitter
- Production Engineer
- Operations Engineer
- Street Lighting Technician
- Floor Layer
- HCA / Support Worker in Bury St Edmunds
- Care Assistant
- Care Assistant
- Salaried GP
- Trainee Recruitment Consultant
- Salaried GP in Eastbourne
- Long Term Locum GP in Crewe £650 per day
- Salaried GP Partnership
- GP Locum in Plymouth
- Salaried GP Bath
- Salaried GP in Gloucester
- Salaried GP in Aylesbury
- Care Assistant